14 May 2010

Wonky Willie and the chocolate swindle

As a confirmed chocaholic there is nothing more that I enjoy than a bar of the sweet stuff so I was delighted to find a large bar of Aero on offer for £1 at the supermarket. This was particularly attractive as I had not tasted that particular brand for some considerable time, I had not eaten since lunchtime and it was now past 10 o'clock.

Bar sizes have altered over the years, with prices rising proportionately, though invariably spiralling upwards, as most things tend to (apart from one's waistline). On this occasion my joy at tasting once more an old favourite was tempered not only by the fact that the bar was larger but so were the bubbles. How do they do that? Even more of the percentage of the cost is paying for the air in the bubble.

I have never been a great advocate of changing the size of the original product. I am not so stupid to think that inevitably prices will rise due to inflation or manufacturing costs. I am satisfied to know that I am getting what I paid for and don't need to be bamboozled by mini bars and maxi bars, re-branding or re-packaging as a cunning means of increasing the companies profit.

Not being a crisp lover I have not suffered the indignities that those people have (and I don't mean Gary Lineker waggling his ears on TV at alternating ad breaks). There was a time when purchasing a bag of crisps meant exactly that, not a handful of crisps in a bag capable of containing 4 times their number.

In today's eco-friendly climate is it right that manufacturers should create these massive bags of air in a shabby pretence that the purchaser is getting more value for their money?

No comments:

Post a Comment