12 February 2012

Who wants to be British?


My ongoing battle with British Telecom following a mistake on their part that has seen not only my ex-directory residential phone number but also my address assigned to a corporation has prompted me to think about the company in a new light. Not only has considerable time and patience been needed to persuade their various departments  to rectify the error but I have needed to fend off a number of prospective customers for the corporation who are probably as bemused as I am as to how this situation should have come about. To compound the error BT have also sold my phone number to any number of companies prompting a deluge of calls from various businesses keen for me to take out advertising space in their respective phone directories.

There was a time that the word 'British' attached to a company name was a symbol of excellence. These days the word is synonymous with poor service, delay, waste, expense, mistakes and shoddiness. Just look at the companies in question:

*  British Telecom
*  British Gas
*  British Airways
*  British Aerospace
*  British Petroleum
*  British Rail
*  British Steel
*  British SKY Broadcasting
*  British American Tobacco
*  British Nuclear Fuels
*  British Leyland


As a British taxpayer, and a British citizen, dealing with any of these companies makes me feel decidedly uneasy. What makes me feel even more depressed is the fact that few, if any, of the above can claim to be British owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment